Monday, August 1, 2011

Vacation at Dearhurst - four hours from Toronto

I visited Dearhurst resort in the Muskoka area. The first thing I noticed was "The air doesn't have a smell."

At Dearhurst, for the first time in my life, I completely understood the cottage scene . As someone who is not native to Canada, it used to baffle me why people would purchase an expensive home four hours away from the city and only use it for two months of the year, but I have a new found appreciation for the maple leaves, and beaver/bear/lake symbols of Canada. Canada's natural treasures really are amazing, and to have a home in this area is really a treat. 

The weather was perfect every day.
 Then I ate some breakfast at the Eclipse restaurant patio, which had a view of the mountains... but I think my attention was on the food.
We went to check out the lake.The sky is so blue, it's unreal. Then try the kayak, canoe, or stand up paddle. Then do my favorite thing, which was scale the inflatable mountains in the Splashzone water park.
 Made friends with ducks, the pigeons of the North. They were everywhere.
Grabbed lunch, and went for a hike.
On the way, we (Jon and myself) saw a lot of these, which I thought were just fabled icons of the far North:
 
We eventually made it to the top after 15 minutes.
And came down from the top and chilled in the evening.
I'd like to go back soon. This was one of my favorite vacations.

Love, 
Jen.

No comments:

Post a Comment