Monday, May 23, 2011

Going down memory lane: bP Nichol Lane

There are some streets that bring back memories. This street is one of them for me. It’s the street that reminds me of the many university boys and many cigarettes smoked. But it is much more than my personal memories. This is BP Nichol Lane, named after the famous Canadian poet who left behind a huge archive of interesting poetry. Though, it is the four line poem carved into the concrete that leaves the largest impact on me.

To the left of me is the Coach House Press, a publishing company who has gone out of their way to publish literature that pushes boundaries. The cream building behind me, once used to be known as Rochdale Collage in the 60’s, a student run alternative educational institute/hippie commune which was closed down due to… well… neighbor complaints of out of control hippies. Given that the residents were made up of hedonistic idealists and clothing was optional in certain areas, I think it may have been a fun place to hang out.

The poem is so simple while at the same time, it conveys such large ideas and leaves me with a tinge of sadness. While hanging out there, Jen actually bumped into the guy who comes down and waters down the words once in a while. Our lake overflowed…

 During gorgeous summer nights, I find myself on this street often and I wish there were more streets in Toronto named after poets and authors. So that when we find ourselves on a random street, we suddenly come to remember a million little memories filled with stories, faces and words caught in time. For now, I will leave you with these words to ponder:


And remember,
Rainy days bring Sunshine!
Jen and Ish.

bp Nichol Lane
Bloor + Spadina

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog, I really do. It's part of my morning reads, right up there with the newspaper and my phone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks andrea! I'm glad you enjoy it =)

    ReplyDelete