Friday, August 19, 2011

'Les Coquettes': Where the beef is at.

Whenever I’m feeling a little hot and bothered, whenever I begin craving something that will appeal to my senses, I step into the world of Les Coquettes, a Toronto based burlesque troupe that never fails to satisfy.

As our master of ceremonies, the feisty and sexy La Minouche welcomes us, I know that for the next few hours I will be transported to a modern day version of a Cabaret, complete with music, humour and…drop dead gorgeous women (and men!) performing classy stripteases, taking off just enough to leave something lovely to the imagination. And in true cabaret form, we are encouraged to drink, be merry and leave all our inhibitions at the door. Amen. Being illegally young In the 80’s, I was unable to fully enjoy the joys of spandex body suits and big hair. That’s okay because Les Coquettes 80’s themed show ‘Where’s the Beef?!’ taught me everything I need to know about the 80’s. Here’s a glimpse of what I learnt:
Georgie Gates introduced me to a much sexier version of Paula Abdul’s ‘Straight Up’. I do want to love you forever, Georgie.

We’ve all heard ‘Black Velvet’ playing at that little bar over too many beers. But never have I heard someone sing it really well while stripping out of a sexy leather outfit….featuring Dante’s Inferno. And this is my favorite thing about Les Coquettes: They are extremely talented. By which I mean, they are able to strip, sing, dance all at the same time. With tons of charm and humour. And then some:
Yes, talented. Even in the air. Charlotte Webber’s lyra hoop performance and Billie Black’s aerial silks send tingles through me every time I see them. The combination of sensuality and acrobatics reaffirms my faith in all things beautiful. And I always enjoy glancing around the room to see everyone’s faces in complete awe.
Dew Lily does Prince. Dew Lily is definitely the cherry on every pie.
I loved the Ninja Turtles as a little girl. Now I love them more.

…Remember those aerobic videos we couldn’t take our eyes off of and we didn’t quite know why?
My education with Les Coquettes has lead me to believe that the ‘80’s was sexy without being raunchy. Kind of like the troupe themselves. To me, Les Coquettes is a refreshing expression of sexuality that is not just pleasing to the eye but is also intelligent, curious and artistic. This is why I suggest you go see their Halloween show coming up.
Get to know them at http://www.lescoquettes.com/

And lastly, I leave you to ponder:

Sweet dreams darlings,
Ish

No comments:

Post a Comment