Thursday, April 14, 2011

Under the banana trees in Allen Gardens

I'm loving the warmer weather! Finally! Shorts season is right around the corner since Toronto's spring is so short, but until then, we can get a sample of summer at the Allen Gardens greenhouse.

 When I told a friend that the Allen Gardens greenhouse is downtown (College & Yonge) is filled with banana trees and catcuses, and entrance is free, he replied "Are there a lot of hobos there?"
Actually, it is the exact opposite! I was there a few days ago, and a wedding reception was going on. A musician was strumming 'Over the rainbow' on a guitar while visitors squeezed around the hoards of matching bridesmaids and wedding crew. It was pretty unexpected, but it goes to show how beautiful this public-project greenhouse is. 
In the Allen Gardens, you can find exotic flowers:

You can wander around in the lush greenery:

Feel the dry heat: 
I think I saw this one before in my nightmares.
... and this photo just to wash your eyes of the creepiness above:
 You'll also notice hoards of people with dslr cameras. I had mine, and a stranger came up to me to ask "Is there a camera club, or is this just what you guys do?"
This is indeed what we do: chill under some banana trees while waiting for the full heat of summer.  

Photos: Jennifer Xu
Much sunshine and love, 
Jen.

1 comment:

  1. so lovely jen! love the photo's/post/idea :O)

    a spring date to add to our list right beside the distillery <3

    ReplyDelete