Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Kim's Convenience

I went to the Fringe Film festival for the first time last week. My friends told me that the winner of the Fringe Festival Best New Play usually a good one. Since the plays that get to participate in the Fringe Festival are based on a random draw, there are some great plays, and uh, a lot of plays that may not be your taste. In venues like alleyways, and barber shops. Which is a coin toss. Like a blind date. Anyway.

Kim's Convenience, written by Ins Cho, (who I saw outside before the stage! Omg, I'm a fan! AAAAH!) did not disappoint.

The best comedies hit close to him, and this play was about the passing on a legacy of a convenience store that Kim's children didn't want. And complicated relationships regarding parents' expectations for their kids, a Canadian culture that Kim didn't understand and perhaps synthesized too concisely, and racially. And love. And it was great.

I was gripped in my seat the whole time. My friends acknowledged it was one of the best plays they've seen in a while.

There are two more shows left! It's $10, which is cheaper than a movie. Go see it.

Jen.

Times:
Friday July 15 – 5:15pm
Sunday July 17 – 7pm

You can go to the Fringe Tent right at Bathurst and Bloor in the Honest Ed's alleyway.

2 comments: