Monday, July 25, 2011

TnT Night Market downtown

I got in line to wait for the shuttle bus, and the first thing I heard was a person next to me exclaiming "You can download manga online! There is an app. Manga. Online. Dot. Net. It's the greatest thing ever!" and there was subsequent discussion about Harry Potter, and I thought, indeed I have arrived at an Asian night market.

The Asian food night market downtown went from Thursday to Friday. I was lucky enough to check it out when the crowds weren't too thick on Thursday. Someone yelled "OMG! I can walk around! And not rub against someone!" I think it was a young man experiencing some turbulent hormonal times.

The weather was boiling hot, so there were some great treats to cool off:
Fruit on a stick, yum.
It was $1 a drink. This is it.
Pineapple King by Marbolicious. Free refills all day for the first 100 pineapples purchased.

There was some awesome street food:
Half a boiled lobster for $10 as street food. =D
Mr. Nom Nom selling hurricane potatoes which are really tasty.
The vendor called it Tornado Dogs! And the red tinted balls are Lobster Balls.
Some shrimp fries I think. Check out the Star of David shape on the right.
And this is one of my personal favorites. It's highly polarizing: stinky tofu. So good.
 

And of course, some familiar merchandise:

It was a lot of fun. There were also some confusing moments. Like someone was selling roasted marshmellows, and when I asked them about smores, they looked at me like I was asking about crap-covered chocolate. I don't understand how you ignore the perfect marriage of flavors in a roasted marshmellow-chocolate-cookie threesome, but I hope they bring that next year.

It was really great to smell flavors of asian street food and see people enjoying their casual food. I'm glad I managed to catch a night market this year.


Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment