Saturday, July 28, 2012

what makes a great latte

I love coffee. For me, it's the epitome of a slow, relaxed moment. It's delicious, brings people together... And also happens to be a socially acceptable excuse to take an unreasonable number of breaks at work.

Like a number of my friends, I really appreciate a great latte. Some major chains constantly toot that they have the 'Best Premium Lattes' around, which just makes me as happy as:
1. to hear that 'Our company is about synergy and innovation'.
2. lame pick up lines, like "Hey baby, yes or no?" (A really awkward moment for me last week)

Indie coffee shops have the absolute best lattes. It's best to go when there are no lines, but good cafes are consistent. 
Stumptown is a famous roastery from Portland Oregon (on par with Intelligentsia beans from Chicago)
So what makes a great latte? Tanya, from Lit Espresso Bar, says the following:

This is actually Jane from Lit Espresso. All the baristas here are super cool
 1. Whole milk (because let's be honest, fat is delicious)
2. A well balanced shot. Not too metallic or sour. Just flavorful. 

3. Espresso topped with delicious micro foam.
The foam should be thick enough to support a stir stick if you put it right through the milk
I highly recommend Lit Cafe in Little Italy and Roncesvalle for some good coffee.
<3, 
Jen.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Roncesvalles! I can't do lattes because I'm off dairy, but I go hard on the soy ones from Mercatto (I know, I know). This may explain why you never answered my question: Hey baby, yes or no?

    ReplyDelete