Monday, February 28, 2011

Something old, something new...

Eliot's Bookshop at Yonge and Wellseley is a book labyrinth. I had no idea what was going on for the first few minutes from either sheer ecstasy, or confusion. But I instantly knew I loved being surrounded by nothing but books in a small space.

Eliot's Bookshop has everything from the popular Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, tales of Robin Hood, to vintage art books (my favorite) and cult classics like Fight Club and Breakfast of Champions. Ishrat was especially excited to see quite the collection of French erotica writer Anais Nin. The prices are quite reasonable, and I'd like to stop by there as an alternative to the usual bookstore giants.

Ishrat was carded at Eliot's Bookshop when she was a teenager for buying a Henry Miller book (... on sexuality + exploits). She confronted the same cashier who is still there a few weeks ago, and he laughed replying 'It was pretty funny. I was just messing with you.'


In some strange ways, I prefer used books to brand new ones. There is something beautiful about knowing that someone has read the same words, felt similar feelings, fell in love with the characters and perhaps even cried over their dilemmas...mostly because the dilemmas resemble our own lives. I don't mind if the cover isn't as glossy and pretty, it just means the book had been loved. And if I'm especially lucky, I find a book with an inscription on the first page. A Tom Robbins book I picked up said 'To the golden ball in my life.'


A few creaky floor boards, ladders to get to those hard to reach shelves, gotta love the smell of paper. I'm going back to Eliot's to pick up a book I keep craving. Yum. <3


Cheers to bookstores!
Jen and Ish

Eliot's Bookshop
584 Yonge St
416-925-026
Mon-Sat 11 am - 8 pm
Sun 12 pm - 8 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment